Friday 19 June 2009

Zbrush questions :o|

I was playing with Zbrush today actually, it's really good, got some questions if anyone can help. (I'm also sending a mailshot so ignore it if you read it here)

I've been messing around with the idea of making a statue for a project in ZBrush. I can't seem to find the answer on the online ESC tutorials.

I was thinking of modeling a medium poly model, UV mapping, texturing in Maya and Photoshop, importing into ZBrush then adding the detail. After that I will export medium poly model back to Maya and use displacement methods for the final render. As the texture was done in medium poly and as long as I don't displace too much which the texture work and not look stretched ?

The alternative I thought was not UV mapping the model but taking the medium poly into Zbrush, adding detail, then making a UV map in zBrush, painting in photoshop..exporting the medium poly into Maya with displacement and texture maps. In theory this method means i should have a high resolution texture UV map that should fit perfectly in Maya.

The problem i see is that you have to render the mesh with displacement map just to see the texture because it might not look great on a medium poly mesh.

Any ideas which would be the best method ?

3 comments:

  1. I've only done this once (on my shot) but I believe the texture isn't stretched/blurred in the way you're thinking. The displacements will perturb the normal and thats it you won't actually get a loss of texture resolution at those points (I think - best place to ask this sort of q is over at the pixologic forums).

    I seem to remember exporting the UV's at lv1 painting those in PS, and then mapping that to my material in maya. (dont forget subdiving will have the effect of creating many more uv points in your previous uv map)

    The texture section of the esc zbrush tutorials should cover this issue of UV's and generating textures. I've not had a look at it yet. Sorry I don't think I was much help... zbrush is something I haven't got a handle on yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking at the zbrush videos, on the pipeline section, the modeling/sculpting is done in maya/zbrush and then an appropriate subdiv level (i.e. a level that's not too ridiculously high poly) is exported to maya for UV mapping. kinda makes sense I guess. These vids are definitely useful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. cheers for that, I watching them so i can remember it all before 27th !

    ReplyDelete