Monday 28 September 2009

Diffuse No Shadow - not working using Passes method

Hey Guys,


I'm trying to render out some passes for my current project, the Ambient Occulusion and Shadows I have done as Layers and the the others I am doing as Passes.

The Diffuse No Shadow [DNS] doesn't seem to be working where as the master beauty is doing what the DNS shouldbe but still has reflections on it.

I've used the same technique as I did for my jet in regards to the passes set up, the only different is that I'm using Final Gather and IBL with some other lights. My Jet scene just uses a spot light dome. It seems like the DNS pass is doing what it should and not rendering out shadows but it look really dark in places, it should look bright but just flat colour diffuse, no shading or reflections. (My jet DNS pass looks exactly how it should, I'm thinking it could be a IBL/FG issue. I've tried selecting the Passes layer and turning the main sunlight (only light casting shadows) to Raytrace shadows OFF, but that turns off all shadows for all Layers, it's not Layer specific even with the orange override. Any suggestions ?

It would also be nice to know how to turn off shadows for one layer and turn on for other layers using the override command, i can't get that to work otherwise.

Here are the Master Beauty and Diffuse No Shadow passes.





(above) Diffuse No Shadow pass, click for larger image, looks like FG isn't doing it's job or other lights arn't working but they are in the Passes Layer.




(above) Beauty pass, click for larger image, closer but reflections etc are baked in, no good :(




(above) Diffuse No Shadow, click for larger image, exactly how it should turn out






(above) flat colour diffuse, click for larger image, does what it says on the tin but different effect to the jet diffuse no shadow, there is no colour shading.

5 comments:

  1. written by Tu..

    [hey seb ..I`m not sure what method did you get the passes...the render layer or render passes ...if you used the passes menthod , and you want to get the flat color diffuse then you can go to passes tab and chooes diffuse material color...that`ll give you a flat color of your diffuse ..and may be you wanna direct irradiance as well ..that can give you the light infomation of your diffuse but not incloud FG or ambient light or IBL whatever....to get these you need add the indirect option in the pass list ..and other passes specluar reflection shadows also can find the option in the list as well...composition part you can ref to nuke tutorials .... I hope you can understand what I`m saying ...I`m not sure my english can descript things appropriately ...cheers]

    ReplyDelete
  2. that kind of worked, i got the flat colour diffuse working ok, i have posted the image below my jet. If I use the Layers method, right click preset and choose diffuse, then set to mental ray and click the orange override raytracing option i get the result I want. But why when i use the diffuseNoShadow passes method it comes out very dark like the FG isn't working when in the Features tab, Raytracing is set (even tried override), Final Gather is also set but I still get the same result. If layers is the only method I can get to work then so be it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure why the Diffuse without shadows pass isn't working. Should just be a case of creating new layer, add your objects and lights, set to mental ray, go to render passe tab, add diffuse no shadow, associate it with the render layer with the down arrow thingy... then hit render.

    if the render pass works, then all's good surely :-) can be annoying sometimes when things don't work as you expect them to, but there's usually a quick fix in this sort of situation without giving yourself a headache - seems like you got it.

    You can create a white diffuse pass to give you diffuse shading over your standard diffuse (which has no shading)

    add objects to layer - assign white lambert - hit render - you'll get all your subtle lighting/shading variations on that that you comp over the diffuse :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i realy like your blog please link my blog at your one, thanke you..

    ReplyDelete
  5. yup, thats how it should work, must be something weird going on. I'm using a render layer now instead, works fine.

    ReplyDelete