Friday 10 April 2009

wosson



Hi there guys!

Just want to take this chance to say how good it as to meet all of you! and a thanks to all of you who helped me get out of my limited 2D world, you were all tutors to me!

Since leaving escape I took a break to cornwall (home), and have been collecting previous projects to try an sort some sort of show reel. am having trouble liking any of the old stuff! but still I feel my has to be more than 8 seconds long so some of it will have to be used!

I have managed to get a little break actually, and yesterday went to meet a VFX Supervisor at 3 Mills Studios in East London. He wants me to do some freelance stuff for him (unfortunately the empshasis is on the word FREE) but hey, what can you expect this early! The projext is a Benchmark for the BBC, it is called "Bo and the Spiritworld" - It is for children aged 6-12. And is a mini series loosley based on China's "house of flying dagers" (but yes for children!) Bo the main character and her brother are transported to ancient China in a quest to find their mother (I Think?) It is a live action piece with alot of on-set filming and a limited amount of blue-screen.

I have been asked to help make a icey graveyard scene in a glacier. I have only seen a few images/storyboards so far, so am waiting for more info. of course with this icey world i am gonna have to polish up on my Sub surface scattering - of which I am crap - any ideas of a good tutorial? since yesterday from what I can remember of the discussion of the scene, i comped a photo-montage concept which I have sent to the supervisor. The finish isn't perfect, but it will do for a quick concepy I think. plus it only took me 3 hours, so I cant expect too much.

I will keep you posted, this blogging group is a great idea! thanks for getting me involved, it's "Super-Cool"

cheers

Mike

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mike !! Glad to see you've got your first break .

    Here are a few links for subsurface scattering:

    1. Free by gnomonology : http://gnomonology.com/tutorial/227 .
    2. Not free by gnomonology : http://gnomonology.com/tutorial/233 .
    3. An intro into Mental Ray rendering by digital tutors . It speaks briefly about subsurface scattering as well . I found it simple & effective . Not free though : http://www.digitaltutors.com/store/product.php?productid=3609 .

    If I find anything else , I'll make sure to post it ;)

    ReplyDelete